*Christmas Dinner
*Fun Run
*Gate Closing Chili Ride
*Pizza Meeting Confessions
*Buckingham Lake Proj.
*Campground Inv & Survey Work Project
*Dough Creek
*Elk Summit Proj.

2011 Archives

Archives: .20100.2009 .2008..2007..2005-06

*Kids Kamp 2011
*Washington Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Grant
*Inland NW Show
*Black's Ranch Proj.
*Hells Gate Shelter
*First Aid Training
*Chili Ride

d Forest Service ProjectsWindy Ridge ProjectWindy Ridge Packing Proj

Christmas Dinner
December 17, 2011

The TRBCH Christmas party was a great event as usual. Guardian Angels Homes has been an excellent host for the past several years. 54 people enjoyed a good time and a good meal.  We had a very generous group. Not only did we bring lots of gifts for Toys for Tots; we also contributed over $180 cash to the family we were helping and a $100 gift certificate for Walmart. It was great to see Tom Fitzpatrick attending after his long battle with health issues. It was great news, when we were short of calendars for those that wanted to buy some more. Lisa will be tracking some down for those that did not get one. Our new president welcomed everyone with some of his stories we are sure not to forget. We are all looking forward to an exciting new year.

Fun Ride
December 10, 2011

A beautiful sunny day blessed 12 members as they rode the loop trail on Washington Dept of Fish & Wildlife property, formerly the Halsey Ranch on the Anatone Flat.

Other than sheer enjoyment, we were scouting this area as a possible location for our Poker Ride next spring. We had  pizza events with a new member when his horse decide to leave while he was dismounted taking pictures. (He was set up!!) and then there was the mule that got chased by a mouse and dumped the rider.

Gate Closing Chili Ride
Lick Creek
November 25, 2011

What a beautiful fall day for a ride. Before we even got to the trailhead, we had to slow down as we maneuvered through a herd of about 15 bighorn sheep on the road. Two real nice full curl rams on the hillside.

There were 13 of us riding with 15 head of stock. We rode up Fordyce Canyon and made the loop back down Cabin Gulch. There was just enough snow on the upper part of the ride to stick to the animals shoes and make the trail a little slick in places, but no mishaps. Luckily we had a chainsaw along, as there were two new trees down that we removed on the Fordyce Trail. There was still some firewood left from our fence removal project, so we had a nice fire to sit around as we enjoyed the great chili prepared by Chef Mark Bogar. Lots of other goodies to go along with the chili also. We picked up litter around the trailhead, removed a couple fire rings and a meat pole that had been left.

Pizza Meeting Confessions
November 8, 2011

Dan “The Stockman” was helping round up cattle in the Salmon, ID country with friends. The very first day his horse decide he was not going to do this and proceeded to rear up, do a little dance and then a back flip on top of “The Stockman”. Well, being young and tough, only his wife knows different, he got back on and attempted to finish the day. The horse, a few days later, decided that “The Stockman” had not gotten the message on not wanting to round up cattle and for no reason that “The Stockman” could figure out proceeded to demonstrate his special talents imitating rodeo stock. After a valiant attempt, “The Stockman” hit the dirt. It was said that “The Stockman” rode with a pillow on his saddle the rest of the trip.

Jim “The Blind Muleman” saddled up for a leisurely ride on his favorite saddle mule. The stock had been out on green pasture for a while, so this seemed to explain why the saddle needed some adjusting. The mule must have really put on some weight with all that good grass. After almost totally re-rigging the saddle, he mounted for the ride. Wow, what was bothering the mule, humped up back, not responding to the bit? “The Blind Muleman got off and walked the mule for a while and checked out his saddling job again. After getting into more favorable terrain “The Blind Muleman” mounts again, and his favorite saddle mule dumps him big time. He looks at his daughter with a bewildered look and says I can’t figure out what is wrong with Ruby (favorite saddle mule). She tells him; Dad, you saddled the wrong mule, that is your pack mule, not Ruby!! Now some might think this could happen to anyone with several animals, other that his pack mule is a black mule, weighs about 1100 pounds, and his favorite saddle mule is a red sorrel mule weighing about 950 pounds and a good half a hand shorter.

Mark “The Headless Muleman” was headed out from the trailhead in the Bob Marshall Wilderness on the first day of a weeklong pack trip. He was so excited and eager to get going, and apparently so was his saddle mule. Neither had time to untie the pack stock from the trailer and when the saddle mule took off with “The Headless Muleman” it was right under the lead rope of the pack mule tied to the trailer. A little rope burn under the chin and a back flip to the ground and it was a “Pizza Moment”.

Rod “Lose’m Stock”, always looking for photo opportunities for the BCH calendars, gets off his saddle horse to take that perfect picture of members crossing a stream with loaded pack animals. Next thing he knows, his horse heads across the stream without him. It was only deep enough to fill one boot as “Lose’m Stock” waded across the stream leading his pack animals. Later on that day, “Lose’m Stock” is crossing a 100 foot  puncheon bridge over a bog with loaded pack stock, “Lose’m Stock” is leading three loaded animals and riding one animal. There is some commotion behind him. “Lose’m Stock turns and sees one mule is to the side of the bridge walking, next his saddle horse goes off the bridge and rolls on its side and on to “Lose’m Stock’s  leg. Could it be “Lose’m Stock” turned his horse that direction when he turned around to look back?? The saddle horse gets up without “Lose’m Stock” and pack animal #1 follows across the bridge. Pack mule #2 is down and half under the bridge. “Lose’m Stock” runs back and unsnaps the lead rope to mule #3 who proceeds to jump off the bridge and goes join pack animal #1 and the saddle horse. “Lose’m Stock” gets mule #2 back on the bridge, but headed  the wrong direction., proceeds to the end of the bridge to turn around, and with no success tries and get mule #2 to cross the bridge. By then the other packers have rounded up “Lose’m Stock’s animals and come to help encourage mule #2 to cross the bridge. We won’t talk about when “Lose’m Stock” dismounts for a potty break the next day and loses saddle horse, and all pack stock for a short time.

Buckingham Lake Project
Clearwater NF - North Fork District
August 25-30, 2011

When we scheduled this project for August, a comment was made that is could be really hot. That ended up being true, as on the 26th when Jim White and I packed in the culvert, tools, wood posts and some hay, it was the hottest day of the year so far. With a little luck, we were able to pack the 155# culvert sections in with limited problems. Jim's mule did great!!

To get all the supplies, stock feed and camp for the six of us, we ended up hauling 13 loads. There was no feed at the lake, so five of the loads were hay bales.

We removed the broken bridge in no time, and had the culvert set in place in about an hour. Three members went to work locating rock and hauling on stock to use cribbing up end walls over the culvert. The rest of us placed the rock and hauled dirt in five gallon buckets for fill over the culvert. We had plans to go for a ride after the work was done, but ended up resting in camp, as we were all exhausted.

Sunday night we had the most intense lighting storm any of us had ever been in. Then it rained, strong winds, and some monstrous hail stones. It sounded like they were going to come right through our tents.

Monday we went for a fantastic ride to Pot Mountain and saw some beautiful sights. Tuesday was packing up, and heading home. We packed the tools and supplies to a FS Trail Crew Camp on the way back, as the crew was coming in to work, as we were leaving. It was a lot of work packing everything in for the project, but it turned out to be a fantastic trip.

Thanks to Bob, Leroy, and Norman Hough and JimWhite for a great time!



Campground Inventory and
Noxious Weed Survey “Work” Project
August 2011

Some people say they love “work”—they can watch it for hours.  I dislike work and even avoid watching it when possible.  Rather than working, I like to be out having fun and enjoying myself! 

That’s why I’m so thoroughly enjoying the Campsite Inventory Project.  It’s a GREAT project that needs to be done and doesn’t involve “work.”  Life is Good!


In early August Rod Parks, Larry Taylor, and I drove down to Moore’s Station and took a six day pack trip into the Hump in the name of doing “volunteer project work” for the Forest Service.  Work?  Yeah, right.  I could spend all summer “working” like that and never break a sweat!  Well, that’s not strictly true since setting up and breaking down camp could almost be called “work”—but that “work” really had nothing to do with the project so I don’t think it counts.

We had a GREAT time!  We met early Monday morning, drove to Moore’s Station, packed up the three pack animals, and were heading up the trail by about 3:00 in the afternoon.  In spite of a couple of missed turns, a rather serious (humorous in hindsight) failure to communicate that got us separated for a couple hours, and near total inexperience on my part, we had camp set up at the Petersen Creek crossing on Trail 313 just before dark—and enjoyed a fine dinner in the process!  We moved camp on Wednesday and packed out and drove home on Saturday.

My contribution to the “pack trip” part of the project was taking too much food, doing the cooking, and mostly watching with interest as Rod and Larry did what needed to be done.  By the end of the week I suspect they were both pretty tired of me asking if there was anything I could do that’s more useful than staying out of the way!  But I did learn a lot about packing and might even be useful on my next trip. 

During the course of the week we rode about 60 miles, moved camp once, and visited and inventoried 16 campsites.  The condition of the campsites ranged from heavily used and kind of  beat up to virtually rehabilitated.  One site, in particular, once we’d removed the fire ring was simply no longer there!  It was a perfect example of nature erasing the Hand of Man.  On the other extreme was the camp we used at Anchor Meadows where there were large hardened areas and numerous trees with lots of exposed roots.  But, at least people used that site instead of finding and potentially damaging virgin sites.   It’s all a balance.

On this trip we didn’t do any noxious weed surveys.  Between the three of us we just didn’t know enough about weeds to be able to survey them effectively.

Jim White took a group in to do a noxious weed survey and also inventory some campsites.  Although I do not have details at this time, his group inventoried some campsites around the Slate Lakes.

The Gospel Hump Wilderness Area is incredible!  I’d never been there prior to this trip.  I’m ready and eager to go back!  And, best of all, I can “justify” the trip as “working” on a volunteer project for the Forest Service.  Life just don’t get any better’n that!

Bill Ward
Dough Creek Adopt –A Cabin Project
Aug. 6-7

I do not know if it was having this project so close to town or that fact that we knew the trail was cut out to the cabin, but we had a decent turnout with 13 workers attending.

It was a nice ride down to the cabin from Madden Corrals. We only had to get off and cut out two new trees across the trail. We had plans to get the work done quick before it got hot. Well, it did not quite work out that way. We did accomplish more than was planned, as Jim White and John Partridge rode into Chimney Creek drainage and cut the trail out as an added bonus.

There is now some beautiful Formica on the cooking counter and the dining table, and a fresh coat of stain on the deck and cabin floor. Fire breaks were cut around all the hitchrails and buildings. Work was done on both water troughs and water was flowing good as we left.

This is a great cabin to ride to and spend a night or two. It is only about a two hour ride to get there and it is the nicest cabin on the mountain. Just because our chapter and some friends built the cabin has nothing to do with this opinion!!

After we got back and unsaddled, we went to Benton Meadows and proceeded to relax and enjoy a fantastic potluck dinner. About half the crew headed home and the rest of us spent the night at Benton Meadows. Sunday we went for a ride and scouted for huckleberries. We found a few, but the pickings were pretty scarce and most were not ripe yet.

Thanks to everyone that worked so hard. Be sure and take the time to return to the cabin and enjoy the fruit of your labor. We have another mule that is garbage can broke.


Elk Summit Packing Project
July 22 - 23

We got it done!! The snow left just in time. Two weeks earlier you could not even drive a pickup to the trailhead. Jim White, trail boss, did a great job keeping everyone posted on the status of the project. The end result was over half of his crew cancelled attending the project. Jim, Rod Parks, and Bob Hough came with pack animals ready. We had lots of discussions as we loaded the planks as to what would work best. We ended up with three different hitches. The old saying that "there is more than one way to pack" sure fit here, as we made it to the work sites with no problems. Rod even had two pack animals and his riding horse off the "100 footer" and never had to redo the loads. This qualifies for Pizza!!

We would not have had to cross the 100 foot bridge twice over the bog if trail boss Jim had not wanted to go about three extra miles just so he could get more pictures of his pack string instead of dropping them off at the work site. This did not work so great, as he lost his camera along the way.

A big thanks goes to Doug Olive, FS representative who helped pack a good share of the 92, four foot bridge planks and also for saving the day by picking up Jim's lost camera.

The volunteer youth group was tearing out the old puncheons and getting ready for the new planks to arrive. We all packed in loads on Friday and Jim, Doug, and Rod packed in the final loads on Saturday. Both days, Rod did demonstrations on what happens when you do not tie up your saddle stock and lead pack animal when you get off to do something. Bob Hough gets the record for losing two horse shoes in two days.

We finished Saturday by riding to Big Sands Lake and having lunch there. The road was in fantastic condition, there was plenty of feed, and the info we had on bugs was pretty accurate, mosquitoes everywhere. If Rod is in charge of food on the next trip, Bob and Jim requested that Karen give them a copy of the menu also, so they have an idea what Rod was suppose to be cooking.

Sunday, Jim and Bob headed home after breakfast. Rod joined a family we met from Wisconsin on a ride to Diablo Lookout. We met two backpackers on the trail who had plans to go to the lookout and turned back, as they told us there were too many trees across the trail. Anyone who has rode with Rod, knows he took this as a challenge. Sixty to eighty trees that we crossed or found a way around, a dozen snow drifts up to three foot deep and we all were at the lookout for a fantastic view.

Kid’s Kamp 2011
July 13-17

Moving Kid’s Kamp to Black’s Ranch on Washington Fish & Wildlife Property created a lot of extra work getting everything ready and the many improvements to the facilities, but it all paid off in the end, as everything fell into place. The youths loved the new showers. The cooks were happy with the new kitchen.

Twenty nine youths ended up attending this year, a new record, as Pat keeps increasing the amount allowed, as it has become a pretty popular activity.

Kid’s Kamp this year was like the rest of this year with changing weather daily. The good news is that it was beautiful during the daily rides, but thunder, lightning and rain were in order in the evenings at times. A good thing we went back to town and bought new tarps to cover the tents. We purchased 20 panels for holding pens and Lucky Acres Fencing loaned us thirty more. Lisa Swanson had some great games dreamed up to keep the kids busy. Dutch Oven cooking, LNT principles, setting up a Lifeflight Landing Zone, brushing trails, and a GPS Scavenger Hunt were some of the education topic provided.

Injuries were minor this year. One youth kicked by a horse had a bruised leg and one that had a bug bite on the leg that had to be iced and medicated. We are very fortunate to be able to use this facility. Bob Dice, the local area manager, for Washington Dept. of Fish & Wildlife has been very supportive of our Kid’s Kamp.

Washington Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Grant
June 11-13

 We completed our $3500.00 grant from Washington Dept of Fish & Wildlife on Asotin Creek drainage. There is now a non-motorized access gate at Sourdough Canyon, a fire ring, hitchrail, non-motorized access gate and one set of highline poles at Sheep Gulch Trailhead, and a hitchrail & fire ring at Asotin Creek Trailhead. We also built 1000' of new fence to restrict access by motorized vehicles and removed a mile of old fence that was in disrepair and a hazard to stock and wildlife. The tall grass was a real challenge pulling up the wire. Thank heavens for the mini excavator and lots of good manpower. This is one of the nicest places to ride close to town. There are at least four different loop ride opportunities. Our members really appreciate the good working relationship we have with WDFW.

Inland Northwest Outdoor Show
April 8-10

Thank you to all the members that helped make our part of the show this year a success. The set up and tear down crews made easy work for the organizers. We had some eager students at the hands on packing clinic. Dave Rustabakke and Tim McNamee drew a crowd Saturday and Sunday with their round pen work and Saturday Night Dave had some real good tips on working with behavior problems with stock. The BCH Booth looked great and hopefully we will pick up some new members. Thanks to Pat Bogar for taking charge of the Booth and all that took a turn at holding down the fort at the booth. Mark Bogar and Karen Parks say this was their last year helping put on this event. TRBCH will no longer be assisting in the organization of the show. The Dutch Oven Competition was fun, educational and great food. The Judges conversed with the teams and tasted all the dishes and made their decisions. People’s Choice award was given to a dish that the judges passed by and that winner won $55. We tried to give away lots of prizes to anyone who could beat Cara opening a can of mandarin oranges with a P38. Only one gentleman beat her. We gave Good Sport Awards to the many men she showed up. We did not get any youth takers on Sunday so Cara did a cooking demonstration and gave away the 14in and 12in aluminum dutch oven that was raffled off. If we do the dutch oven cook off as an activity in the outdoor show next year, I would like to see some of our members participate. Again, when the day of the show arrived, the participation of the members of TRBCH was tremendous. Mark and Karen personally want to thank each and every one of you for this year and all the past years help.

Black’s Ranch Work Project
April 1-3

Members got a great start on sprucing up the house and dining area (garage) at Black Ranch, the site of 2011 Kid’s Kamp.

Many treasures were found as the false ceiling in the garage was removed. The cleaning crew in the house worked hard for two days. The paint crew went through 4.5 gallons of paint on the kitchen, living room, and basement walls and ceilings on Saturday. The outside crew cleaned out the barn, burned some old hay and treasures from the garage and house, as well as cut and stacked firewood. Friday was a beautiful day. Saturday, the outside crew was so happy they were not painting and rubbed it into the paint crew. It was suggested that we change jobs at noon, but they said no way! Well, they paid for it as the wind started blowing and snow was coming down sideways. When they tried to sneak in the house to warm up, the paint crew sent them back outside to enjoy their job! We had great food thanks to Karen Parks and helpers.

Pat Bogar gets the award for wearing the most paint!! The basement bathroom is gutted and the plans are to install two new shower stalls and a sink in the bathroom. Plans are constantly changing, so will wait and see what the final design is.

“The Shelter”
Hell's Gate Don Ulman Shelter

Good News!!  The Shelter is done!!  After struggling thru government bureaucracy, plan changes and weather, the Hell’s Gate Don Ulman shelter is finished.  Started in March of 2010, the slab area was excavated October 30th and was poured November 2nd.

Following some cold winter weather, the wooden structure was erected March 12th of 2011.  On March 13th the metal roof was installed and the wooden structure was spray painted.  As Doug Head sprayed the wooden structure in about 2 hours, I thought of the long day with brush and rollers that it would have taken to accomplish the same thing.

This memorial to Don, a long time dedicated TRBCH Member, should provide shelter to a lot of equestrians and other park participants.  It can also provide a meeting place for GPS instruction, BCH only packing instructions and other BCH activities.  TRBCH members can be proud of the project which adds to the social aspect of the trailhead.

Marty Gangis, Park Manager, Mike Butler, Mark Graves, local Corp of Engineers, need to be thanked for accepting the shelter idea and allowing it to be established.


There were174 volunteer hours and 1028 miles dedicated to this project.  A special thanks to everyone involved and a real big thanks to Doug Head our project BCH contractor.
Bill Correll

 First Aid Training
March 9


TRBCH hosted a basic 1st Aid/ CPR class March 9th.  Eighteen members  participated in the training.  The class was three-and-a-half hours of entertaining instruction by Jim Babino.  He shared & showed us valuable information regarding back-country medical assistance; covering CPR (from adult to infant), Basic 1st Aid, AED’s, Diabetic Issues, & assisting with anaphylaxis/ allergic reactions. All that attended will receive a First Aid Card. Jennie Franklin will be bringing them to the next meeting to hand out so all who were at the class need to come to the meeting in April to get their cards. The ‘per-person’ cost was only $15.00, because TRBCH paid $20.00 per person; thank you very much Twin Rivers Back Country Horsemen; and thank you to all who committed to participating. May all your rescues be easy ones.  Jennie

TRBCH Annual Chili Ride
February 26

Sixteen riders braved the cold weather and were blessed with a great ride. It was 11 degrees when we departed and 18 degrees when we returned two hours later. We rode a new route this year and it was fantastic. There were no Pizza Riders. The only problems were new fences and lots of gates that confused the guide, who last rode this area about fifteen years ago. After the ride, we joined the fair weather riders in Bob Kuther’s heated shop and had a great time warming up with chili and all the other great treats provided by the members. This goes in the record books as the coldest Chili Ride of the last 19 years, but it was not the coldest for the riders, as one year it was below freezing and snowing sideways and the ride lasted a whole 20 minutes before we retreated to the house to eat and warm up.

© 2009-2014 Twin Rivers Back Country Horsemen. All rights reserved.
Please direct all comments, suggestions & questions regarding this website to Web Wrangler.